Nov 15, 2011

The Hamiltons and Harpoon: Whale-watching Massacre

Sorry I'm so late this week... I've been very busy (starting to become a habit).

"The Hamiltons"
This film was made by directors Mitchell Altieri and Phil Flores A.K.A "The Butcher Brothers" and writers Mitchell Altieri, Phil Flores, and Adam Weis in the year 2006. There are no actors worth note.
IMDb Gives it a 5.2 out of 10.

The plot. A family is dealing with the absence of their parents while trying not to drift apart. Oh yeah and they kidnap and kill people.

There is a lot of ground to cover so let's get moving... The movie is boring and tedious. The twist at the end was expected and it was so full of angst that I thought I was watching one of those stupid "teen moves to new town, teen finds out what is cool in that town, teen gets beat up, teen becomes determined to be good at what is cool to win affection of teen (insert gender here), teen accomplishes with a lot of hard work culminating into a final battle, teen wins (insert gender here). *insert triumphant music here*" I think that I've ranted enough...  oh wait... incest. Now I'm good.

I give this film a 3.5 out of 10. As I said boring and angst-y.


"Harpoon: Whale Watching Massacre" 
This film was made by director Julius Kemp and writer Sjon Sigurdsson in the year 2009 in Iceland. Exceptional actors? Ummm... Gunnar Hansen and Terence Anderson were quite awesome in this movie.
IMDb gives it a 4.9 out of 10.

The plot. A whale watching group goes out to sea gets in trouble and is saved by whale hunters (who are out of a job due to international law) and so the whale hunters attack the watchers because they blame them for the loss of their income. A ton of sub-plots later, that's it.

First, this film kicks "The Hamiltons" right between the reels. It's ferocious, innocent and despicable all at the same time. Only two people in the entire film turn out to be good people. Everyone else is insane or incredibly manipulative. It definitely is different from any other horror movie I've seen.
I give it a 6.9 out of ten. It's fun but it also makes you look at the people around you with concern. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment