Oct 25, 2011

Beast from Haunted Cave and Batman Year One

I'm not sure of what to make of this weeks movies...

"Beast from Haunted Cave"
This film was made by the director Monte Hellman and the writer Charles B. Griffin in the year 1959. I don't normally say who produces but this one is interesting, it's Roger Corman THE cult sci-fi/ horror directer! That actually makes this movie a bit better. No notable actors.
IMDB gives this movie a 4.0 out of 10.

The plot is that a gangster, his girlfriend, and two meat heads come to a ski resort to pull a heist. They plant an explosion in a gold mine as a distraction.

Yes that last bit was necessary. You would not believe how central to the plot that is. Anyway, this movie was thrown together very quickly, the cinematography is terrible, and the acting is worse. I don't know if it's just me but the dialogue in this sounds like it's meant to be witty but it falls flat and breaks it hypothetical nose. I can't believe they are trying to tell me this is suppose to be good. The monster is laughable but hey, 1950's cheese, it doesn't get any better.
I give this movie a 2.9 out of 10. It isn't fun to watch nothing in this is attractive and plot is pulling teeth to make a story that works. Good times.


"Batman Year One"
This film was created by the directors Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery and the writer Tab Murphy (with credit from Bob Kane (creator of Batman) and Frank Miller (the movie is based on his graphic novel)) in the year 2011. This movie has no stars that I recognize but from what I hear Steve Blum is pretty big. IMDb gives is a 7.3 out of 10.

The plot is that playboy Bruce Wayne returns to Gotham city to start his crime fighting career after a long absence. At the same time Jim Gordon is transferred to Gotham and he discovers the city to be thoroughly corrupt.

Yup, that's it. But trust me, it works. The directors have worked on literally a ton of animated super hero movies making them very experienced and this movie shows it. This movie makes (most likely thanks to Frank Miller) Gordon awesome. He is as stone cold as Miller's Batman, ruthless and determined. Maybe Miller is making his heroes  archetypical... I don't know but for this film it works well. Batman doesn't make much of an appearance even though this is his movie, it is more of a study into who Jim Gordon is. Don't get me wrong there are flaws but altogether the movie just works, it even draws the crowd in far enough to slap them in the face with what they are unwilling to believe.

I give it a 7.9 out of 10. I liked it, it's a great film. But if you aren't a fan of Batman prepare to be confused.        

No comments:

Post a Comment